Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hiking Big Glassy Mountain in Flat Rock, North Carolina

On our way up Big Glassy Mountain at the Carl Sandburg House in Flat Rock, North Carolina
Connor:  This picture was taken at the start.  Me and Alex didn't know how exhausted we would be!
Alex:  We are with Bonnie our dog from Africa (she is the yellow lab) and Barley.  Barley is Chad and Jodi's dog and she is a little black mix.
Connor:  This is halfway up and I felt like I was about to fall down and couldn't move!
Alex:  We were so exhausted that we stopped and had some water.  When we continued we were still exhausted so we got the dogs to pull us up!
Connor:  Every time we saw a bench and asked if we could have a rest or a drink dad said, "Nope!  We will move on to the next bench!"
Alex:  When dad said we had to keep moving I went ahead and stopped to take a breather!
Connor:  It was so unfair - they marched us straight up a mountain!
Connor:  It was a great relief when we got up to the top!  All the hard work and effort paid off for that one view.
Alex:  It was so good when we got to the top.  The dogs were exhausted, I was exhausted and I believe everyone else was exhausted!  And then my mind was blown when I heard we had to hike back down!!  And I was also shocked when Erica told me that we had taken the hard route up!  But at least we got to take the easy route down.
Alex:  When we got near the bottom we could hear thunder and then it bucketed down with rain!
Connor:  Alex and Erica and Barley were wimps hiding under trees while me and dad and Bonnie just kept walking!
Erica:  I couldn't have been happier!  A day in one of my favorite places in the world with my favorite people (and dogs) in the world.

No comments: